Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Poetry Friday - on Tuesday

Soon, we will be taking our son to his first year of college (and my heart is too full to even record some thoughts about this here). So, I will offer a Poetry Friday entry a wee bit early in honor of great friends at CAIRO AMERICAN COLLEGE. This poems makes me think of earlier conversations I have engaged in with so many of you about books being mirrors and windows in our students' lives...and in our own children's lives, too.

SURPRISE

The biggest
Surprise
On the library shelf
Is when you suddenly
Find yourself
Inside a book –
(The hidden you)
You wonder how
The author knew.

Beverly McLoughland, Cricket, September, 1985

1 comment:

Carol said...

I forgot this one! I love it!!!! Last week I did poems about books for my school. I have to do a PS right now! Thanks!
CAW